HORSERADISH AND ROASTED GARLIC CRUSTED PRIME RIB
The prime rib I did was enough to serve 6 people – or 4 large carnivores! Was 6.7, with bones before cooking! Key to a good prime rib is to sear the roast, and lock in the juices.
Rub for prime rib-
30 garlic cloves
5 tbs horse radish
10 – 15 fresh rosemary sprigs
Montreal Steak Seasoning
Course ground black pepper
1. In a small Pyrex pan – with some olive oil – roast the garlic cloves at 325 covered – for about 25 minutes – they should look brown and soft. Set aside
2. Add horseradish – stripped rosemary (discarding any woody stems), and garlic cloves with remaining olive oil to food processor – puree until smooth.
3. Starting with the sides of the roast – rub paste on side of the roast – then coat liberally with Steak seasoning, and pepper (the paste helps the seasoning stick)
4. Start with the sides, then bottom – last the top – as the top is how the roast will sit in the pan.
5. Do this early – allow the roast to sit most of the day before cooking.
6. Pre heat oven to 495 – using a good meat thermometer – fine the coldest spot of the roast to insert your thermometer.
7. Cook roast at 495 for 20 minutes – then drop the temp to 300.
8. When your roast reaches 123 – remove roast and let rest covered for at least 10 – 15 minutes…. roast will continue to cook – but this is the key for a juicy tender prime rib.
9. Add pan drippings to your dipping sauce – whisk in !
Prime Rib dipping juice-
1 medium yellow onion
1/2 stick butter
1 cup diced celery
1 cup shredded carrots
9 garlic cloves diced
1 tbs thyme
1 bay leaf
1 tbs parsley
1 750 ml bottle of cabernet, merlot or some dry white wine
32 oz. beef cooking stock
1 tbs tomato paste
1. in a medium sized pot – in butter sauté all veggies, garlic, and thyme, about 20 minutes on high heat – veggies should be nice and tender.
2. Add bottle of red wine – cook on high until volume is roughly reduced by half.
3. Add stock and tomato paste – bring to boil.
4. Reduce to a simmer – and simmer for 1.5 hours.
5. Run juice through a strainer, reserve remaining juice.
6. When rib is done – add pan juices bring to a boil and slowly whisk in – Remove from hear – whisk again before serving!
December 30, 2016 Uncategorized